Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A simple prayer


Matthew 18
The Greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven

1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

2 He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. 3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.

When I write an essay for my blog, I try to think of a profound statement and this is the passage that came to mind, one of the few that I have recently referenced. I had recently been a participant in a medical internet forum (for doctors). Somehow, the topic of the day was faith (instead of TB, or AIDS or some similar malady) and the originator of the post had asked, "how can I develop a sense of religious faith, something that I have always envied in others, but never had?" A sort of anxious and panic stricken state of mind ensued as I tried to come up with an internet response post. I could not represent myself as having a treasure chest full of faith myself, although I admire the possibility of this. Finally I thought of this passage, and found the chapter and verse using a search engine. I like the irony of what Christ said in this passage. It is a relief to know that simple prayer, simple faith and not the conquest of the intellect will prevail in this matter.

Still, it is true that my Catholic faith provides me with multiple opportunities to learn more and use my God given thinking abilities. by simply sitting and reading I can benefit from and bounce ideas off of others who have traveled the journey ahead of me. I am humbled by the potential of this exercise and I hope motivated by the challenge.

My prayer, created this day:

Dear Father in Heaven, we gather in your name for your praise, to give thanks for your many blessings, and to inspire each other to fulfill your many commandments in our daily lives. I am thankful for this medium to communicate with others, at this time and in future moments, when your children are in pain, when they are at peace, in communion with you, or in a state of alienation. Let me be open to the needs of others, and share with them the love that you have shown to me. I ask this in your name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment