Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 19, 2011

For Go so loved the world




Whoever believes in him will not be condemned,
but whoever does not believe has already been condemned,
because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

John 3:18

Every so often I need the above reminder of the significance and essential
need for faith and belief in Jesus. Living in a secular world secularizes
me, and the readings such as today's gospel at Sunday Mass is a blessing.
Over time, I have found that the example of faithful men and women
have been my greatest influence. One of the closest to me would be my
father, also deacon at our family's parish.

Although Dad died in November, 2004, his influence continues to this
day. He was not a proselytizer. He was really a quiet type and didn't
socialize that much either. But his faith was exemplified in his
demeanor. He had a sense of dignity and larger than life persona. In
that sense he seemed not to live in this world, but in the realm of the
spiritual.

Sons often have an insight into their father because they observe and
learn from him over such a long period of time in childhood and
adolescence. I like many sons had a period of time when I did not want
to follow Dad's example. At this time in my life I welcome his memory
of quiet gentle spirituality, faith and fidelity.

Dear Father in Heaven, I pray that my faith grow each day and that my
spiritual family may nourish my seed-like kernel of faithfulness. I
pray that the worldly distractions will act rather as you generous gifts
that can help as tools to spread your grace and good will and faith in
Jesus Christ. I pray for peace in the world as your faithful children,
and many who have not sought your light or accepted your message of
love, learn to coexist in a manner that is acceptable and glorifies your
name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment