Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Feast of St. Matthew, evangelist

From rwufeinsteincenter.webs.com

I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.

Today is the feast day of Matthew, and the gospel gives me time for some reflection. Jesus called Matthew as one of his apostles. He was a tax collector, who was not a person of social status in the Jewish world of Jesus' time.

The Pharisees saw this and said to his disciples,
"Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?"
He heard this and said,
"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.
Go and learn the meaning of the words,
I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners."

Well Jesus must have meant all of us, since we are all sinners. It is great to know we are all called by Jesus. And he desires mercy, not sacrifice. This message obviously was aimed at the Pharisees directly, whose hearts were somewhat hardened, and who were rigid, rules oriented and devout Jews. It's easy for me to fall into the same trap, and not follow my call from Jesus every day.

Instead of stopping my blog work and my audio program, I'll continue on and give more reflection to what Christ is asking. As long as I'm able to respond I'll gladly try to do my part, and show mercy to all my brethren. The meaning of that word "mercy" I will try to learn anew and apply it to people that I may find difficult, people who are hostile, indifferent, admirable, or faithful. Christ did not make any exceptions, and he did not with me. Thank you USCCB.org for your faithful listing of the daily mass readings which often are of great comfort and inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment