Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Faith



Image attribute: http://catholicismpure.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/walking-on-water/

Walking on Water

These words have become often a cliche. Let us think about the original scenario, in which Jesus helped Peter who was sinking in the sea in a storm. He had been able to walk on the water with Jesus for a time, but then faltered.

Jesus helped Peter back up and admonished him for his lapse of faith. This recounting gives me reason to read other bible passages regarding faith. Jesus repeatedly speaks about the need and importance of faith. He told his disciples that if they had the faith the size of a mustard seed, "you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:21

Faith is what Jesus said could allow great things to come forth. Faith in God. Faith that does not require proof of God, but rather love of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

However, faith that is blind has been criticized by philosophers. They state that we should use our God-given intellect to sharpen and test our belief, even that of our belief in God. This is part of theological education, as I understand it. However, for the common people, people such as myself still in the infancy of their theological inquiry, strong faith is still possible, still justifiable. This is because of my early childhood indoctrination in the Catholic Church. The schools, the churches, and most of all my parents, taught about the good news of Jesus Christ. They did not attempt to teach me the rigors of logic. I heard the telling of the birth of Jesus. At other times I heard the readings from the Old Testament, and of the activities of Jesus, the miracles he performed. I received the sacraments, first that of Baptism, then Communion. Later I was confirmed, and then married. I witnessed the sacramental events of my siblings, and later of my own children.

Most recently, I have been impressed with the value of intentional Christianity. In this mode of living, one DOES use rational inquiry, self education, and fellowship with other Christians to further one's faith. Sadly, some of the sacramental events in my life were somewhat automatic. They occurred according to a timetable. With intentional Christianity in the Catholic Church, I intend to move forward, deliberately. I am going to have stronger faith because I am going to live my faith. The greatest proof, or witness of the truth of Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit, has been my actual living among the faithful. I pray that the Holy Spirit continues to dwell among God's people. The love of Jesus Christ shines now more than ever, I believe. May I be an instrument of God's will and act as His humble servant. May those in pain or impoverishment find healing and, by witnessing the faith of their brethren, find the comfort and wealth of faith of their own. Amen.

Please join me Thursday 7/11/2011 for the first weekly Catholic Evangelist's Hour. This is a live broadcast so you will want to get online at 7:00 EST on Thursday night. God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment