Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Gathered in His Name



For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them. Matthew 18:20


Really. This passage is powerful, exciting. Why should Jesus come among us in our gathering to read God's word, to share time together in His name? I don't think there is any answer and it may be wrong to even ask. The Bible is ample evidence for God's love that is given to us freely. But the question comes up because Jesus' promise is evident in activities I've recently participated in. One was a series of home meetings with fellow parishoners with a planned sequence of discussion topics. Over the course of about 6 weeks, I made new friends and we'll likely get together in the future for a cookout or something like that.

Another was a free clinic that was held on Saturday. I really didn't go in, as volunteer, with a great attitude as I already had things I was doing and other things that I wanted to do. But this setup was indeed impressive. The number of volunteers that get together for this activity in the spirit of service is amazing. The charity expressed was sincere and contagious. My day was transformed by my participation and by the people I met, both fellow clinicians, and especially the clinic attendees.

I wish I could express my gratitude to the people at Sojourn Louisville for getting me involved in the service project. I can vouch for the palpable presence of God in such gatherings. The blessing can be pushed forward by my own acts of sacrifice and sharing in the spirit of faith sharing and I pray that I be reminded of this holy obligation on a daily basis.


Dear heavenly Father, we seek your fellowship and praise your providence and blessings. May I be blessed with insight for making more opportunities to spread your message for my brothers and sisters, unselfishly and in your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment